lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Bowyer <gbow...@fastmail.co.uk>
Subject Re: Low pause GC for java 1.6
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:58:14 GMT
My first question would be, do you need 16GB of heap, thats a lot and
will contribute to long pauses, what happens if you try it out with 8GB,
are you trying to be too greedy with the caches ?

You question is very open ended, tuning a GC is an art from, what works
for one workload is often quite wrong for another, are you using any JVM
flags what are they ?

If you put the following on your JVM arguments, and then put the log
somewhere on the internet it will make it easietr to fgure out what
might be wrong

-Xloggc:gc.log -XX:+NUMAStats -XX:+PrintCMSInitiationStatistics
-XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintJNIGCStalls -XX:+PrintReferenceGC
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution

-- Greg