lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.NotAnException
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:14:41 GMT

On Jul 15, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> While this may be confusing it help in IDEs a lot
> because you can click directly on t he stack trace frames instead of
> searching manually for a particular place in the code.

I did not find it confusing per say - the issue was clear by the messaging and pointed exactly
where to find the problem.

I guess it would not have told me how I should attempt to fix it - but because I've run into
these random to random() changes while merging stuff back before, so it seemed clear enough
to me.

But it's still odd to see a stack trace with what looks like an exception called NotAnException.
Now that you have pasted the code, it's clear it's not though! It's a Throwable!

I think perhaps there actually would be a better name - but I'm feeling a little lazy to think
about it, and it hardly seems that important. And I like a name that gives me a chuckle.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com