lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Uwe Schindler <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject Re: What is the maximum document number?
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 19:47:32 GMT
Hi,

In fact maxDoc is not the maximum, it is also a count. If no deletions are in an index, maxDoc==numDocs.
That's unfortunately how it is, maybe we should rename that in 4.0.

Uwe
--
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen

Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> schrieb:

Doing a little more research on document numbers, I had thought that the maximum document
number was 2^30-1 or Integer.MAX_INT, but... I see that IndexReader.numDocs, maxDoc, and the
corresponding IndexWriter methods return the number of documents as an int, so since document
numbers start at zero, the number of documents is actually limited to 2^30-1, so the highest
document number is limited to 2^30-1 minus another 1 or 2^30-2.

-- Jack Krupansky