lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject remove seek-back in terms dict / fold appending codec into default?
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:32:16 GMT
Just looking at the previous thread, I wonder if we should consider
removing AppendingCodec and just removing this seek stuff.

Currently this is essentially metadata stuff in terms dict/index (e.g.
terms dict field summary section and offsets for each field in terms
index: https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/core/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene40/Lucene40PostingsFormat.html)

I know the typical argument for keeping this stuff is that we would
need to rely upon additional file operations (e.g. length), and we
want to limit that, but this isn't the only possible solution, e.g. we
could write a read-once file with this metadata thats just slurped in.

And really relying upon seek at write could be viewed as just as bad
as relying upon length, obviously we know some filesystems dont
support it.

--
lucidimagination.com