lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Random testing performance (theoretical)
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:42:11 GMT
An interesting link was given to me today:

"The Central Limit Theorem Makes Random Testing Hard"
http://blog.regehr.org/archives/660

Just recently I had a talk at a local university
(http://idss.cs.put.poznan.pl/site/idss-en.html) and the low
theoretical probability of hitting _any_ sensible bug was also raised
as a concern. This is in stark contrast to what we see in practice,
isn't it? It is an interesting phenomenon because it means that (among
other possible explanations) the parameter/ search space of random
tests is just ridden with failures and exceptions and bugs and even
with close-to-zero probability we still hit a lot of them :)

Dawid