lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: remove "via"
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:55:43 GMT
I think I understand your viewpoint but I'll stick with mine for now
(that is: I don't care for 'via' attribution in CHANGES.txt, but I
also don't object it -- I'll stick with whatever consensus there will
be).

Dawid

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
>
>> As
>> far as important stuff is done I wouldn't worry about who gets the
>> credit...
>
> I think that's kind of short sighted. These credits matter to some, and many of these
things, while they may not matter to us personally, that does not make them unimportant as
far as our structure and policies going forward.

> While it may sound magnanimous to say, credit be damned, that's just mental masturbation,
as long as the work comes in thats fine, I think it ignores the bigger picture. Why does Random
Bum #2 get a credit in a movie? Do simple credits like this have value or not? And if they
have value for outside contributors, do they also have value for committers when committing
someone else's work? I know I was pumped the first time I got my name in the Lucene changes.
Does it matter so much these days? No. But I wouldn't presume to make that call for others
or future committers.

> I have always been a fan of our credit system, and I think it serves it's purpose well.
When I look for things like this, I don't start tracking down JIRA issues and SVN commits.
I simply browse CHANGES.txt. I search for the number of occurrences for a user name, I look
at how long its been since someone has been active, I check who likes to commit others work,
etc. I've done all that at one time or another. I know there is a name or two in particular
that mostly just commits others work if I remember right. If someone commits 1000 of someone
else's patches, but does not author any, should they have no entry in CHANGES.txt? That sounds
absurd to me.

> It's a great place for prospective employers to look as well.
>
> Personally, I currently don't have much stake in my name showing up in CHANGES.txt. It's
currently easy enough to find a job regardless, and my ego is already fat and happy. But I
would not evaluate these things personally - I evaluate them from the perspective of this
project going forward - with the idea that there may be a completely new set of committers
in 5 years time. What is the best policy for the project, not my own feelings about wanting
or not wanting credit for something.