lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: post alpha 1 entries in CHANGES.txt
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:44:15 GMT
A lightweight method is to create a TAG in SVN for each RC and also for ALPHA and BETA, and
then cut a branch when releasing 4.0.0
Regarding CHANGES, it should have full-blown sections for 4.0.0-ALPHA and 4.0.0-BETA, but
for e.g. 4.0.0-BETA-RC2 it should be enough with a marker line in CHANGES.TXT to indicate
which issues are included before and after the RC. That way we can build and tag RC's often
with little effort, and when the final release is done, these marker lines can be removed
if we wish.

For ALPHA/BETA I think we should also add a new section to CHANGES.TXT to highlight known
major issues which are still blockers for final release.

This is how it could look like:

==================  4.0.0-ALPHA ==================
:
:
IMPORTANT: This is not a final release and we encourage you to use the latest stable release
for production use.

Known critical issues in this ALPHA
-----------------------------------

* SOLR-YYYY: Index gets corrupted every monday :-)

Detailed Change List
----------------------

New Features
----------------------

* SOLR-XXXX: Foo bar (myself)

------------ 4.0.0-ALPHA-RC1 includes changes above this line ------------

* SOLR-XXXX: Foo bar (myself)

* SOLR-XXXX: Foo bar (myself)

------------ 4.0.0-ALPHA-RC2 includes changes above this line ------------

* SOLR-XXXX: Foo bar (myself)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 27. juni 2012, at 04:10, Mark Miller wrote:

> I put a new changes entry after the alpha under the 4-Alpha release in CHANGES.txt for
Solr.

> I missed the discussion if there was one, but if we plan to have a CHANGES section for
alphas and betas, let me know, and I'll move that entry when we start a new section.