lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: remove "via"
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:32:45 GMT
I've looked at the "via" in the changelog to figure out which committer works in which areas
the most, and therefore who to ping about a patch.  And I do think that shepherding a patch
file through to commit is worthy of some credit.  It's often a fair amount of work to evaluate
a patch file, offer constructive suggestions to someone who may not be familiar with how the
process works, and eventually get it committed.  And it's often fairly thankless since you
typically are helping someone else scratch their itch, not your own!

On Jun 6, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> Opinions?
>
> I disagree - I think it makes it really easy to track who actually did the commit (the
person *responsible* if it's a bad commit or a good commit) and I think there is some credit
in a committer applying someones patch. They are doing the review and taking responsibility
for the code change. I think *via* is pretty clear regarding credit, and I think it has value
in it's information. Even if you simply commit someone else work, *you* are contributing to
the issue. You better have reviewed it, you better be willing to take responsibility for it.

> Appears I'm in the strong minority though.
>
> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential
unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.