lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: remove seek-back in terms dict / fold appending codec into default?
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:12:36 GMT
On 26/06/2012 23:13, Michael McCandless wrote:
> +1, if we can find some clean way of doing it that doesn't rely on
> file length on read (ie, to seek backwards to the header).

I don't like the additional file idea, we already create too many files
... maybe record this in a segmentInfo attribute?

> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just looking at the previous thread, I wonder if we should consider
>> removing AppendingCodec and just removing this seek stuff.
>>
>> Currently this is essentially metadata stuff in terms dict/index (e.g.
>> terms dict field summary section and offsets for each field in terms
>> index: https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/core/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene40/Lucene40PostingsFormat.html)
>>
>> I know the typical argument for keeping this stuff is that we would
>> need to rely upon additional file operations (e.g. length), and we
>> want to limit that, but this isn't the only possible solution, e.g. we
>> could write a read-once file with this metadata thats just slurped in.
>>
>> And really relying upon seek at write could be viewed as just as bad
>> as relying upon length, obviously we know some filesystems dont
>> support it.
>>

>> --
>> lucidimagination.com

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki
http://www.sigram.com, blog http://www.sigram.com/blog
[___||.__|__/|__||\/|: Information Retrieval, System Integration
___|||__||..\|..||..|: Contact: info at sigram dot com