lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject SolrJ and Solr on different java versions
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:36:50 GMT
Because Java 6 is going EOL, we plan to upgrade to Java 7 at some point
in the next few months.  In order to ensure that it goes smoothly, we
will only update one index at a time.  This means that the SolrJ program
will be running on a different Java version than one of the indexes, and
the same version as the other index.  We will also be upgrading the Java
version on our web servers that also use SolrJ, though that may happen
on an entirely different schedule.

Are the different Unicode versions between client and server going to be
an issue?  Should we plan on testing everything behind the scenes and
then upgrading Java on everything at once (Solr, SolrJ, and the web
application) rather than trying to phase it in?

The data originates in a MySQL database.  For performance reasons, we
use DIH to do full rebuilds, but all regular updating is done with
update requests in SolrJ.  The two indexes are updated independent from
each other, but it is all done within one running copy of the program.

I asked this question on the user list before, but I don't remember
seeing an answer.  The recent comment on LUCENE-2073 made it fresh in my
mind.

Thanks,
Shawn