lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Lucene/Solr 4.0-ALPHA
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:47:08 GMT

On Jun 10, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:

> I reviewed the Solr 4.0 wiki, which sounds as if the intent is for a single alpha and
a single beta

If someone is willing to assemble a release and the release can get the release votes, there
is no reason we can't have multiple alphas or betas.

Most things put on the wiki are guidelines or hopes more than anything - nothing is really
set in stone. It's all subject to change given who expends what effort and what circumstances
accumulate.

Bottom line, anyone can be an RM, anyone can build an alpha, beta, release candidate, etc.
You just need to get three PMC members to vote for your release. Given that, it does not make
a lot of sense to put too much into intent or plans IMO.

If circumstances warrant it, and someone is willing to make the releases, I'm sure we will
do whatever makes the most sense given the feedback we get from the first alpha.

Maybe we have one alpha and multiple betas. Maybe we have one Alpha and decide to release.
I think it makes sense to plan (hope?) minimally - that is, one alpha, one beta sounds reasonable
in terms of a bunch of cats stating intent - and let further work arise from the release response.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com