lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: What is the maximum document number?
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:11:26 GMT
Oops, I indicated that Integer.MAX_INT was 2^30-1, but it is 2^31-1 or 2,147,483,647. So the
largest document number in Lucene would be 2,147,483,646 and the largest number (count) of
documents would be 2,147,483,647.

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Jack Krupansky
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 4:09 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: What is the maximum document number?

The javadoc for IR.maxDoc refers to “largest possible document number”, but the word “possible”
is confusing. Superficially it sounds like the largest document number that Lucene can ever
assign, but really it is simply the “largest document number in the index at the moment,
including deleted documents.”

The javadoc should probably simply say: numDocs = maxDocs - numDeletedDocs

-- Jack Krupansky