lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 4.0-ALPHA
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:55:34 GMT
Maybe beta RC's would fit the same need as additional alpha releases. Maybe
a new beta RC every week or two as significant changes accumulate would
satisfy user needs.

Maybe the real value in having an alpha release is not the release itself
(since nightly builds are readily available) but to publically mark the
milestone that development is now mostly complete and to signal
less-sophisticated users that they can now feel confident to begin serious
evaluation and that the clock is finally ticking down to a final release.
Meanwhile, more-sophisticated users can continue with nightly or local
builds as they always have.

One other question is whether the formal alpha release would "raise the bar"
for changes other than index changes. The 4.0 wiki indicates that
"additional features & API changes" would be permitted after the alpha,
suggesting a rather low bar. If there are such changes, I would argue for
more/earlier beta RCs to get user feedback on significant changes. Once
again, more-sophisticated users can access nightly builds anyway, so it is
more a matter of raising public awareness.

An early alpha and early beta RC could benefit users whose IT management
"policy" might be to avoid alpha releases and wait for beta (RC).

-- Jack Krupansky