lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Lucene/Solr 4.0-ALPHA
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 15:22:25 GMT
Is the intent that there be only one alpha and one beta, or could there be a
series of either if bugs and improvements are significant enough?

I reviewed the Solr 4.0 wiki, which sounds as if the intent is for a single
alpha and a single beta, but I am wondering if that makes sense given the
current flow of changes and the desire to incorporate feedback as quickly as
possible.

So, I would suggest that there be a series of alpha releases (and betas) as
significant bug fixes and improvements accumulate. Maybe every week or two
if the changes are significant enough, until such time as the change flow is
low enough and the quality perception is high enough to advance to beta (and
release.)

Otherwise, if there can be only one alpha, maybe the bar needs to be set
higher for it because once it goes alpha, users will see no new release
until beta.

I would argue in favor of an earlier alpha with a somewhat lower bar, and
then have additional alpha releases as enough significant changes occur that
we would want to get user feedback on and users would want to get access.
Feedback and access would be the criteria for a new alpha. And index changes
for sure.

The real bottom line is that the current level of change flow seems to argue
against the current build being considered a "final alpha", although it
could reasonably be considered a "preliminary alpha".

I would also suggest the caveat that the primary difference between alpha
and beta is that re-indexing is more likely and should be assumed for an
alpha but not for beta (keep current beta language.) In other words, users
can feel comfortable "evaluating" an alpha, but not consider an alpha for
"production" unless they understand that they will have the burden for the
possible need for re-indexing to move up from that alpha.

I would also like to see a (relatively short) list of open Jira issues that
people feel really should get fixed before: 1) alpha, 2) beta, and 3) final
4.0 release.

Other than all of that, 4.0 is looking great!

-- Jack Krupansky