lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: SolrJ and Solr on different java versions
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:47:41 GMT
Hi Shawn,

It is correct, the JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.txt / .html (in trunk/4.0) is about Lucene and Indexing.
In fact, the changes in Unicode versions affecting analysis (as this guide describes). SolrJ
does not do any analysis, is just passes the String/native types down to solr uon the wire.
SolrJ is here not different to any other client library like those from PHP or Python talking
to Solr. If changes in Unicode version would change the public API of Solr, there would be
a bug. The only things in the public API of Solr (the one SolrJ uses) are de/encoding of Unicode
codepoints to bytes that go over the wire. And that does not change between those Unicode
versions for the used character sets like UTF-8.

- If you migrate the Java version in the client -> don't care (like for any other language
used in the client). As long as there are no charset encoding bugs you are fine
- If you migrate the Java version on the Solr server -> reindex, as analysisis components
may behave different (lowercasing,...)

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler