lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mixing dv types in one IW session
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 16:31:29 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> I agree this inconsistency is bad... and silently losing stuff (float
> 2.5 becomes int 2) is really bad.  We should do something before 4.0.
>
> I would prefer idea 2, i.e. that we never allow changing/promoting a DV
> type for a given field, and that we do our best to throw clear exc if you
> do so. I realize this is different from other things in Lucene where "anything
> goes" but DV is new in 4.0 so we are free to set new rules.
>
> Also, if this somehow later proves to be a bad decision, we can always
> add back in this leniency ... but not vice-versa.

Right, this would certainly simplify things: but as I mentioned its a
little cruel if someone is using a 16-bit type (for DV or norms) and
decides they are running out of space and need 32-bits or something.

Maybe i'm worrying about it too much?

One idea would be to move this type promotion to a
FilterIndexReader+AddIndexes tool in contrib, e.g. a general tool that
can upwards cast a norm or dv type?

Ive thought about this before: maybe having a nice tool to change
these types of things, e.g. completely remove a field, or unomit norms
(but you must specify default value), or other crazy things like that?

--
lucidimagination.com