lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help: SOLR-3430 and Build changes
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 20:02:21 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Dyer, James <James.Dyer@ingrambook.com> wrote:

> I don't know if you want to call this a "unit" test or an "integration" test (and what
are all those other Solr tests that use Jetty, etc?).  In the end, I just want readable tests
that are true to real life, which DIH lacks right now.

I definitely agree with improving the tests here. I just suggested the
whole issue of integration tests because thats sort of what it is
right? its testing integration with a specific database. You are right
about the Jetty stuff too, when I brought this up recently there seems
to debate over whether solr should work with only jetty or also
others.

But from my perspective tests that are really sucking in the solr
example/ and working against a specific container or database are
really integration tests.

These kind of tests are realistic and useful, I am just trying to
imagine a plan for how such tests are going to work in general,
imagine if you want to test things other than hsqldb in the future...
e.g. at least back in the day doing things like working with blobs in
oracle was... different :)

--
lucidimagination.com