lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help: SOLR-3430 and Build changes
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 17:21:00 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Dyer, James <James.Dyer@ingrambook.com> wrote:
> Let me apologize in advance for my (almost) complete ignorance of everything
> build related:  Maven, Ivy, Ant, etc.  Sorry!
>

> For Solr-3430, I am introducing a dependency to derby.jar, which will be
> needed only to run DIH tests.  So I don't want it included in the Solr
> .war.  It just needs to be in the classpath when junit runs.
>

> 1. Where should I put the .jar/licence/notics/sha1 files?
>
> 2. How do I modify the build so that it will be in the classpath for running
> tests only?

one way to do it is to make a lib-test/ or whatever and put them in
there. Then, you would modify ivy.xml to have two configurations
instead of just the one default, and the additional configuration
would be called 'test' or something like that. Then modify build.xml
to have a different 'resolve' (see solr/example for something that
does just what i describe) and also declare a different test-classpath
that includes lib-test/

that shouldnt be too bad, but the bigger question is with this
test-only dependency, is it really a unit test or more of an
integration test?
For a unit test I think a mock object would be preferred.

If we want to start having integration tests (looking at your issue
title, it really seems thats what you are proposing), then I think it
would be cleaner to just have an integration testing module instead?
Otherwise I can see the tests/dependencies for various modules getting
really complicated quickly, and I worry about wrong things getting
included in packaging or wars or whatever.

As far as having build setup properly for integration tests, I already
proposed such a thing here

lucidimagination.com