lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: wiki software
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 23:57:17 GMT
Agree with Grant that we need a better, more structured documentation set, per version.
But let's first do what Ryan suggests - switch to Confluence - put all converted MoinMoin
pages in a separate legacy section of the Wiki.

Then in phase II start an effort do do a fresh documentation for version 4.0 only, but first
outlining the structure and placeholder pages and then filling in the meat. A good thing about
Confluence is that we could probably use macros to link to SVN and Javadoc and in various
ways auto genereate parts of the docs.

This way we can migrate Wiki software without being held up by the need to rewrite everything,
and we do not need to keep updating two systems.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.facebook.com/Cominvent

On 23. mai 2012, at 22:49, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On May 19, 2012, at 5:55 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>
>> A *long* time ago we discussed converting to confluence to replace the
>> forest site.  The key issue was that only commiters could have access
>> if we want to include the generated PDF in the distribution.  This is
>> all moot now that we have ditched forest.
>>
>> Since then the discussion has come up and I think everyone is in favor
>> of the idea, but noone has taken the steps to make it happen.  I
>> suggest we:
>>
>> 1. Create infra JIRA issue to:
>> * delete the old https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLRxSITE/  test
>> * create https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLR
>> * create https://cwiki.apache.org/LUCENE
>
> +1
>

>> 2. Convert existing sites using
>> https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/UWC/UWC+MoinMoin+Notes
>> I don't know if this is something we can do, or we can make an infra
>> JIRA issue for
>
> I'd actually argue we skip this, kind of.  I'd like to see us have a left hand nav that
represents the versions and then we copy the docs into each version and then go through and
make sure everything jives per version.  While this is more work up front, I think in the
long run, it will result in a much better experience for our users.

>> 3. replace existing MoinMoin sites with links to cwiki
>> https://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/
>> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/
>>

>> ryan
>>

>> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I know there was a long debate about wiki software and docs and what not. It
got long enough that I petered out on it.

>>> In some ways, I guess this is a lazy plea for someone that did follow along to
summarize. Did we get anywhere? Is there an action item to start on?

>>> I'm in the same spot I was when I started that thread - the first bite I'm after
is switching from the dated moin moin to the modern confluence. It seems as easy as opening
a JIRA issue to get a confluence space up.