lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snapshot repositories and ivy.
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:44:10 GMT
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Dawid Weiss
<dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> Right but trunk should be in releasable state at any time. While ivy
>
> I think you're being idealistic.

I don't think its too idealistic. We have to keep trunk releasable,
otherwise it just shoves the burden on the release manager to clean
things up before release.
(and current trunk is still in a bad shape here, dependencies are now
clean, but for example packaging is totally screwed)

Fixing dependencies and stuff so that it works with ivy is easy, but
maven shackles us more (I don't really know it, so maybe there are
other ways it can download shit without it actually being in maven
central: e.g. jar files from google code or whatever).

As long as we release maven artifacts and our PMC is held accountable
for them, then they can't get crazy and screwed up (fake maven
releases of other people's software under lucene-xxx or solr-xxx,
etc).

>What if there is a critical issue in
> one of the dependencies that needs to be addressed before an official
> release of that dependency? Like the patched commons-csv?

You can see how that one was handled in the current codebase: its
imported in as o.a.solr.internal.xxxxx

> I'm guessing
> you want to put that JAR somewhere on the web and then point to it
> from ivy.xml, right?

That works for ivy but as mentioned above, does not work for maven.

>> can simply point at any arbitrary URL and get a jar, maven cannot.
>
> Everything can be done, it's just a matter of how long it's going to
> take and how much trickery must be involved. Oh, and I'm not defending
> Maven :)

Right, and we have to shift the burden off of the release manager (and
whatever guys he is able to bribe at release-cycle time), and onto the
committers: same as we do with checking that we don't have javadocs
warnings in the code, and checking that we aren't missing license
headers.

Speaking from experience, my sleep cycle and liver won't take another
'unfuck dependencies so that maven is clean' before release again.
Release manager should be focusing on other things...

>> We worked hard to clean this up ~ 3.6 timeframe and make it so that we
>> werent issuing any 'fake maven releases' of any other code...
>
> I know this, but this is not helping me solve me issue. So - I have an
> interim JAR that I'd like to use in a non-released Lucene trunk. The
> best solution so far seems to be to:
>
> 1) put the JAR on the web somewhere,
> 2) modify ivy.xml and provide an explicit URL to that JAR.
>
> Am I right?

Then how will the maven artifacts work if you committed this today?

--
lucidimagination.com