lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:15:07 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> b) Create a patching process that grabs their release package, fixes
>>> it, and builds it, renaming packages. Include the patching process in
>>> your source release.
>>>
>> I would *love* to be able to have this option available, but how will
>> the maven artifacts work? Can maven artifacts say "i depend on x.y.z
>> but i need to download its source and patch it first" ?
>
> You publish it. No one objects to the process of changing the packages
> and publishing it under a suitable descriptive name. Or, as Uwe
> pointed out, it entirely possible to use a couple of maven plugins to
> pull this off dynamically.

And now you hit the nail on the head. Because your 'option 2'
(download+patch) with ivy doesnt involve 'publishing'. we just
download and patch.

But with maven you MUST publish. so this is really forcing us to your
option 3 (its a published fork).

Give me an option 2 for maven that doesnt have the word 'publish' and
then its an option 2.

--
lucidimagination.com