lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:50:31 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you like (or can live with) everything about the situation except
> for the additional Maven burden, then it's worthwhile for us
> Maven-heads to offer schemes that purport to do Maven without making
> it (much) worse. But if the situation has grown beyond what the RMs
> should have to deal with even without Maven, then we're (or at least
> I'm) just adding noise.

Well I think Steve is doing a fantastic job. I worry if he gets by a
bus, what would we do?

> If the Maven straw that breaks the camel's back is 'how do we get the
> fixed binaries into the Maven universe," I want to underline my
> previous failure to be clear when talking about 'the github trick'. If
> a group of folks wants to make forks on github of whatever, Apache or
> not, and apply bugfixes and push, they can do that. If they organize
> their work on this list or in this list's JIRA, they might take some
> flak. They might win the resulting argument. Especially if in each
> case they can document that they diligently tried to work with the
> upstream.

I don't think its the straw the broke the camel's back but it
definitely has a cost. For 3.6, i know i spent a ton of time (along
with all the maven supporters, who stayed up all night and all that
kind of stuff too helping out), trying to get everything to be as
'clean' as possible. I don't know maven at all and I was busy trying
all kinds of possibilities (like making fake maven repositories under
google code projects and all kinds of nasty stuff, fortunately we
didnt have to resort to most of that as other avenues worked out).

I found this was really difficult, like herding 100 cats. I think its
not unrealistic or asking too much for our releases to be legit. :)
But its also not asking too much for them to have good quality, if a
bug is serious in a dependency, we should have a way to fix it without
doing something dirty.

Like i said before, in my perfect world without maven, lucene releases
just wouldnt have any jars ever, and if we need to patch one we just
have scripts that do that.

But as long as maven is part of the actual release artifacts the way
it is now, we can't even consider approaches like that, and need a
strategy in place for 'if/when we need to have a patched dependency,
this is what we will do'.

--
lucidimagination.com