lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:08:46 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> It makes perfect sense. Some of us do, however, embed Solr (for tests
> or other unrecommended reasons), or build our own Solr plugins with
> dependencies on the existing Solr plugins, and we would thus mourn, or
> have to go back to doing extra work, if you stopped publication of
> Solr artifacts altogether.

Yeah I actually think the monolithic approach is not ideal, i would
prefer something more modular.

But i'm balancing this against the costs of over 100 third party
dependencies, which is currently overwhelming the project (or at
least, release managers).

We might be able to simplify things with other approaches, too: just
as an example, over half of solr's third-party jars are in contrib
modules, some things that might be a better fit as client-side
integrations or just separate plugins, (maybe as separate projects
under our TLP with their own release cycles, or on apache-extras, or
anything like that).

Or maybe we can just do a full scrub and try to see which dependencies
we can remove. I bet there are a few we could nuke.

Its definitely overwhelming right now, the size of the codebase and
the number of dependencies, given what we have. I think we should be
considering all options. Maven packaging just adds to the complexity
due to the fact of how it manages dependencies (they must themselves
be in maven somehow).

--
lucidimagination.com