lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:55:23 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> Publishing artifacts benefits users; I acknowledge that you accept
> that, and are weighing it against costs. Taking on this publication
> process is like any adding support for any other additional
> infrastructure in incurring costs.

This is a good point. Lately I worry that I'm acting like an old fart
too much on these kinds of issues: e.g. that it would be bad for us to
not support maven, bad for us to not support some serialization
support that makes lucene easier, or numerous other examples :)

for 3.6 we spent a lot of time cleaning up the 'hacks' in both 3.6 and
trunk so that hopefully nothing is questionable here about the way we
were doing things. Thanks to everyone that helped with this
(especially the maven parts, i wanted the maven artifacts to be
'clean').

On the other hand I have serious concerns about the tradeoffs here,
which no maven supporters have as of yet been able to answer:

How do we handle situations like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1257 (open for 5 years,
still not incorporated in a release), without doing hackish things
(releasing someone elses code, sucking their entire codebase into
ours), or relying upon Uwe Schindler to come up with some clever
workaround?

I'm really worried about this, that in order to keep our releases
"legally" clean from a maven perspective (ivy can download a jar from
anywhere), that we have to sacrifice quality to get it.

I don't want this to get lost in the controversy: I'm willing to spin
off a new thread about this if we need. I'm really concerned about it.

--
lucidimagination.com