lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:58:16 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
>>  And OUR source code was correct - PERIOD.
>
> I think more important than our code being correct is that our distributions work correctly.
Being correct for the sake of it has no practical value. We should strive for the best user
experience. The value comes from what we deliver - and if we can deliver something that works
correctly over something that does not, we should IMO.

+1, thats how i feel too. Maybe others disagree: thats ok. Whats
important I think is that as a community, at least we have the option?

At the least we should be able to discuss on a case by case basis and
have the opportunity to say 'this shoudl really be fixed, otherwise
the release is FUBAR and won't actually work, who cares where the
blame lies'

I feel that currently, there is no option (maven limits us here). I'm
not sure if thats due to actual technical limitations in maven, or
just because its complicated or unconventional or whatever, but I
don't think we should let maven hold us back here.

I'd rather have distributions that work correctly without maven than
buggy distributions with maven.

--
lucidimagination.com