lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: (LUCENE-3994) some nightly tests take hours
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:38:54 GMT
Digging in a bit into the slow nightlies, I think this explains a lot
(see my other email: question about seed)

I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3995, but
honestly i would really prefer if we didnt have to change our tests
here, if somehow, when we do getRandom() the class's hashcode or
something like that is xored with the seed to mix it up a bit, I think
it would be ok.

I can easily fix LuceneTestCase/SolrTestCaseJ4/etc but there are many
tests that do stuff in beforeClass (e.g. build a directory), so if all
tests are 'doing the same thing' we get less predictable test times,
and less test efficiency.

This is because there is redundancy in our tests (of course), which I
think is ok, actually good, as long as these defaults are varying
per-test-class such that we get wide coverage within a single 'ant
test'.

--
lucidimagination.com