lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject question about seed
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:13:21 GMT
I see: [junit4] <JUnit4> says hello. Random seed: A773AE0846178A0

at the start of the JVM. does this mean that all tests run with the
same initial seed?

For example looking at tests, it seems it does, e.g. in a test run all
my tests will run with the same codec for example.
(see, many
assumes for PreFlex)

>From a coverage perspective, if this is the case, its not good because
it means we don't get good mixed coverage of the different codecs...
So you could easily make a change that breaks some codec horribly and
not know, unless you do many 'ant test' runs.

Can we fix the random to maybe initialize based on this seed + a hash
of the class name itself?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message