lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:30:25 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Dawid Weiss
>> <dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>>>
>>> The issue with such poms is that once you want to publish your stuff
>>> to maven central it won't work (because all dependencies must be
>>> available and there is no "local" repository).
>>>

>> This is the problem I am asking about.
>>
>> I don't care about local maven builds or any of that. I care about
>> release artifacts.
>>
>> If we have a buggy dependency, i can easily tweak ant+ivy (even ant by
>> itself) to download its source, patch it, and use it.
>> I can generate lucene-4.0-src.tgz, solr-4.0-src.tgz, lucene-4.0.zip,
>> etc etc with this.
>
> If your build and release process creates a modified version of
> xerces.jar with unmodified package names, and that jar file ends up on
> www.apache.org/dist, there will be unhappiness. You can't have such a
> thing in svn, you can't have it in your binary package, you can't have
> it in a 'convenience binary bundle.' You can auto-download it from
> non-Apache infrastructure. You could download it from Maven central,
> but you can't officially, as a committee, put it there. If have a way
> to get what you want with ant(+ivy) without breaking those rules,
> please explain it to me again, and I'll endeavor to provide the maven
> analog.

Its pretty simple (for the record): for the lucene case the source
release would build this stuff, but we simply wouldnt provide any
third party jars in the binary release at all.

Since the lucene core itself has no dependencies, it just means if you
want to use module-xyz that uses icu you need to go and get that jar
yourself: really not that bad. In fact lucene binary releases worked
this way for a very long time.

The complications all involve solr: because its an application that
people expect to work out of box. So its binary releases are a totally
different animal. I hope this makes sense.

--
lucidimagination.com