lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: carrot2 clustering in trunk uses OLDER jackson than 3.x?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:12:33 GMT
> I don't think that you (carrot as a library) should do any shading. I
> think that when someone prepares a Solr component including carrot,
> that they should avoid dependencies that possibly conflict. Jackson is
> a particular risk factor, since 'minor' versions are mutually
> incompatible, so the presence of Jackson x.y precludes the use of some
> other package that requires jackson x.z.

I realize this but then I think shading should be used exactly when
somebody encounters this kind of problem (incompatible versions must
coexist on classpath). It is a pain. It is wrong. But it's a less
error-prone solution than shading everything possible for every
possible package out there.

I don't rule out the possibility that we will be preparing a
"self-contained" release in the future because JAR conflicts are a
common issue, but I also kind of know for a fact what kind of pain it
is because we _are_ trimming the distribution for .net
cross-compilation (which in the essence is similar to package
renaming/ obfuscation). It is an unbelievably tedious process to check
if everything works after each upgrade (even with tests and
everything).

Dawid