lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:16:17 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Dawid Weiss
<dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> I feel that currently, there is no option (maven limits us here). I'm
>> not sure if thats due to actual technical limitations in maven, or
>
> What Benson mentioned will work for maven, I don't see how it holds
> you back. If you publish an artefact for Ivy somewhere you can package
> this JAR and publish it to maven central as a third party?
>
> There is also a hackier alternative -- set up your own maven repo, add
> it to master Lucene pom.xml and voila, you can publish anything you
> like. Will work with maven and ivy at the same time...

Just for emphasis: no one objected to 'publish bugfixed binaries.'
They objected to 'publish bugfixed binaries with unchanged package
names.' I personally think that there is room for a more nuanced
discussion at the Foundation level about this, but, for now, if you
change the package names, you can publish -- whether to maven central,
or some other repo, or in a 'convenience binary' package on
www.apache.org/dist.

I fully appreciate that changing the package names is a pita, and so I
think that Uwe's emphasis on scripted patching, supported in both
Maven and ant/ivy, is good. And I'd help build it.