lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:40:01 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do you know it's done 'appropriately' in your scenario? You could
>> have had just as many board members up your nose by using your
>> ant/github procedure and depositing the resulting bundle on Apache
>> 'dist' as an 'auxiliary binary bundle'.
>>

> How so? what would the board members do me?
>
> whats wrong with what i did legally with
> https://github.com/rmuir/jetty6-unicode (3.6 solr depends on that).
>
> I forked another project (Welcome to github!) and put up downloads.
> ivy downloads from there.
>
> The licensing terms are legit, its not doing any thing sheisty with
> apache infrastructure, there are no jars in our source tree.
>
> its just an open source fork of an abandoned project (jetty 6) that i
> picked up and patched for unicode bugs. Anyone can use the build.xml
> there to recreate it totally from source code.

You didn't do this as an official act of an Apache PMC. However, if
you had done this to Xerces, you might have gotten some (I think
ill-informed) trademark hassles if you didn't change the package
names. However, I think that's a digression.

You posed the question, I think, "How do I, as a PMC member, evaluate
the appropriateness of something done with Maven as a technology or
delivered to Maven central as a maven package."

My answer is that you ask these questions of the committer who
committed (or the patcher who proposes (or the release manager who
makes a candidate)) the changes that you are evaluating:

1) Are you introducing any binary materials into our source releases?
2) Are you introducing any forked code from another Apache TLP into
our source releases of binary packages?
3) If the answer to (2) is "yes", you ask, "and have you changed the
package names".

So far, no mention of Maven.

And if you are uncomfortable with the answers, you recruit a
knowledgable fellow-PMC member (or wandering Foundation member) to
help out. This seems to me to be parallel with how you would evaluate
some obscure point of the impossibly complex rules for NOTICE files.