lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:02:18 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> How so? what would the board members do me?
>>>
>>> whats wrong with what i did legally with
>>> https://github.com/rmuir/jetty6-unicode (3.6 solr depends on that).
>>>
>>> I forked another project (Welcome to github!) and put up downloads.
>>> ivy downloads from there.
>>>
>>> The licensing terms are legit, its not doing any thing sheisty with
>>> apache infrastructure, there are no jars in our source tree.
>>>
>>> its just an open source fork of an abandoned project (jetty 6) that i
>>> picked up and patched for unicode bugs. Anyone can use the build.xml
>>> there to recreate it totally from source code.
>>
>> You didn't do this as an official act of an Apache PMC. However, if
>> you had done this to Xerces, you might have gotten some (I think
>> ill-informed) trademark hassles if you didn't change the package
>> names. However, I think that's a digression.
>
> Maybe, thats ok. I could have also ignored these. Seeing how Apache
> enforces its trademark with Lucene (e.g. Zend Lucene), I'm not worried
> in the slightest. Bring the lawyers on: I'm not afraid.
>
> The best part about it: I forked this project independently, just like
> any old Joe Schmoe can fork any old github project and improve it. And
> if the licensing is ok, we are free to depend on it, and our PMC
> doesnt need to worry about trademarks for projects we arent
> responsible for.

That's right. If you, Rob Muir, just so happen to set up a github
project with a fix to Xerces, and I, Benson Margulies, just happen to
help you publish it to Maven Central, then the PMC, without (much)
fear of hassle, can consume it as a binary dependency. But some folks
will want to be sure that we have drawn a bright line between this
process and the formal activities of the PMC.