lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:45:03 GMT
Mark,

As penance for my initial snappish response, here is a bit of
additional (I hope) constructive commentary, which may or may not make
you feel any better. As a mere occasional patch contributor I accept
that the decision should reflect the PMC as a whole, not especially my
view.

Publishing artifacts benefits users; I acknowledge that you accept
that, and are weighing it against costs. Taking on this publication
process is like any adding support for any other additional
infrastructure in incurring costs. On the other hand, the ivy
integration improves (in my opinion) the maintainability of the
lucene/solr build's usage of dependencies.

The kerfuffle with the board was, as someone else mentioned, really
not about Maven repositories at all. It was about a strangely
under-documented Apache fundamental policy about binaries, combined
with a completely undocumented Apache 'policy' about Other People's
Package names, not written down anywhere, not thought through, and
not, in my opinion, viable in the simplified form that it was
presented as a 'rule.' Taken to it's logical conclusion, you could
have suffered just as much hostile email for shipping a jar file in a
release package names 'mutant-version-of-commons-csv.jar' as you took
for publishing one under unique Maven coordinates.

There's a board election coming up, and my sadness at how some current
board members handled the situation will be reflected in my votes.

So, if you are in the market for any advice from me, try not to let
the pain of that incident add to whatever xeno-discomfort you have
with the Maven work on its own merits or lack thereof.

--benson