lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:28:18 GMT
> Its definitely overwhelming right now, the size of the codebase and
> the number of dependencies, given what we have. I think we should be
> considering all options. Maven packaging just adds to the complexity
> due to the fact of how it manages dependencies (they must themselves
> be in maven somehow).

If you like (or can live with) everything about the situation except
for the additional Maven burden, then it's worthwhile for us
Maven-heads to offer schemes that purport to do Maven without making
it (much) worse. But if the situation has grown beyond what the RMs
should have to deal with even without Maven, then we're (or at least
I'm) just adding noise.

If the Maven straw that breaks the camel's back is 'how do we get the
fixed binaries into the Maven universe," I want to underline my
previous failure to be clear when talking about 'the github trick'. If
a group of folks wants to make forks on github of whatever, Apache or
not, and apply bugfixes and push, they can do that. If they organize
their work on this list or in this list's JIRA, they might take some
flak. They might win the resulting argument. Especially if in each
case they can document that they diligently tried to work with the
upstream.