lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:22:49 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I would *love* to be able to have this option available, but how will
>>> the maven artifacts work? Can maven artifacts say "i depend on x.y.z
>>> but i need to download its source and patch it first" ?
>>
>> You publish it. No one objects to the process of changing the packages
>> and publishing it under a suitable descriptive name. Or, as Uwe
>> pointed out, it entirely possible to use a couple of maven plugins to
>> pull this off dynamically.
>>

> And now you hit the nail on the head. Because your 'option 2'
> (download+patch) with ivy doesnt involve 'publishing'. we just
> download and patch.

I think the answer to this is Uwe's suggestion. Set up Maven to do the
download+patch.

I can't promise 100% automation of this in a single top-level maven
build for every possible complex maven-built thing you might want to
patch. I can promise no worse than two steps: (1) run a script that
downloads, patches, and builds the patched items, and (2) run the
regular maven (or ant/ivy) build.  Step (1) puts its results in your
'local repository' (~/.m2/repository) and step 2 uses them there.

For many maven things, I could see how to do this with a maven plugin
folded inside your build, but since I think that would fail in some
cases, I don't think it is wise.