lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:07:59 GMT

> How do we handle situations like
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1257 (open for 5 years,
> still not incorporated in a release), without doing hackish things
> (releasing someone elses code, sucking their entire codebase into
> ours), or relying upon Uwe Schindler to come up with some clever
> workaround?

As far as I can tell, you have exactly the same issues solving this
issue with and without Maven.

First thought: the board should be just as willing to apply pressure
to a project to deal with a patch sitting around for five years as to
deal with a project which has 'inappropriately' published another
project's stuff.

However, we're all volunteers around here, and everybody understands
that this kind of situation may ensue.

So; second thought: the problem here was never (really) that it was
published *at maven central*. The problem was that it *was published*.
For purposes of discussion, I'll accept the stricture that there are
*no* circumstances under which it's legitimate to publish another
TLP's material under the usual package names.

OK, so the package names gotta change. For Xerces, that's
comparatively easy, given the way JAX-P works. In a maven-less
universe, I believe that the screwdriver of choice is jarjar. in a
maven-full universe it's shade.

Am I addressing the right set of issues? I don't want to go on to the
'and what do you do about the source' issues here if I'm on the wrong
subject altogether.