lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:19:24 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How do we handle situations like
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1257 (open for 5 years,
>>> still not incorporated in a release), without doing hackish things
>>> (releasing someone elses code, sucking their entire codebase into
>>> ours), or relying upon Uwe Schindler to come up with some clever
>>> workaround?
>>
>> As far as I can tell, you have exactly the same issues solving this
>> issue with and without Maven.
>>

> I don't think thats really the case at all. If i want to release a
> patched jar with ivy its pretty trivial.
>
> I simply make a project in github or google code with a build.xml that
> downloads their code, patches it, and produces the patched result. its
> still an open source project: its basically a fork. I put the binaries
> i generate under Downloads and point ivy directly at that jar.

Typoed. I'll try again.

Make a build.xml that patches their code, and also patches their
pom.xml to change the groupId. Then publish to central via OSSRH under
your group ID. If you're not doing something 'officially Apache', no
one has any right to complain.

If you want to be friendly to people with opinions about package
names, you use shade to change this package names, just as you would
use jarjar under ant.