lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:14:48 GMT
I've had a lingering frustration with the recent blowup due to the
solr-commons-csv Maven artifact (SOLR-3204).  We've worked around the
particular issue (we now hide the dependency)...

But in thinking it over, and avoiding rehashing all the technical
details, what bothers me most about what happened is that the Lucene
PMC is/was held accountable for "having released code in another
project's namespace", yet, none of us realized we had done so.  We are
(or at least I am) generally ignorant of the consequences of deploying
artifacts and dependencies into Maven.

I think that's bad: I'm not comfortable being held accountable for
something I don't understand.

I am very sorry (to the Apache Commons project) that we "released"
their sources like that; I had no idea we were doing so.  Ignorance is
not an excuse and really the Lucene PMC is/was negligent...

I think, to fix this, we (the Apache Lucene PMC) should stop
officially posting artifacts to Maven ourselves.  I think it's great
if Steve (and/or others) continue to do so, just outside of the Apache
Lucene project and outside of the Lucene PMC.  This would mean the
Maven build/deploy is fully downstream from our official releases,
just like how the numerous other package managers/repositories (yum,
apt, pkg, etc.) distribute our release artifacts.

This can be beneficial for users who consume our artifacts via Maven
as well: for the 3.4.0 release, the Maven artifacts were broken, but
we couldn't change the already-released bits (SOLR-2770).  Had Maven
been downstream, this should have been easily resolved since it'd just
be a re-spin of Maven's artifacts, not Lucene/Solr's.

All of this being said, I'm very very grateful to Steve for working so
hard to understand Maven, and build/deploy the Lucene/Solr Maven
artifacts, for our releases.  I know it's a huge amount of work, and
in general rather thankless around here, being stuck between people
who love Maven and people who don't, yet Steve has done an amazing job
at it.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com