lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Karthick Duraisamy Soundararaj <karthick.soundara...@gmail.com>
Subject Implementing SOLR-1093
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:11:56 GMT
Hi all,
        I am finding a need to merge the results of multiple queries to
accomplish a functionality similar to this
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1093. The rules are:

                     1. Make query 1
                     2. If results returned by query1 is less than a
certain threshold, then Make query 2

Extending this idea, I want to be able to create a query chain, i.e,
provide a functionality where you could specify n queries and n-1
thresholds in a single url. Start querying in the order from 1 to n until
one of them produces results that exceed the threshold.

With merge=true and mergeQueries=1,2,3. Would merge(sandwich) the results
of the queries 1,2&3.

I have got a proof of concept ready where I just modified doFilter function
in SolrDispatchFilter.java. I am thinking about writing a
MultiSelectHandler that would handle the multiselect requests. Any
suggestions/thoughts/pointers as where to begin looking for will be of
great help.

PS: These n queries and n threshold are passed on a single url and each of
them could use different request handlers and therefore take a different
set of parameters. By threshold I mean the count of results
returned(hits/NumFound).

Thank you,
Karthick