lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:22:35 GMT

On Apr 23, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> So we must publish maven artifacts to be successful on the open source
> market, sorry! (that's my opinion!)

I disagree that Lucene/Solr would not be popular if the committers and PMC did not support
Maven. In fact, I expect if there is real demand, a downstream contributor would easily pick
this up.

I don't think anyone doubts Maven's value in terms of distribution. I also find amazing value
in the apt-get system. I think if you want to be a popular open source project, you really
want your stuff in a linux packaging world!

But I don't think we should make that part of the project. I think it belongs downstream where
it happily happens now :)

Unless we get a wave of anti maven sentiment, it looks like things are staying as they are
right now anyway though. I just don't think any of us arguing that Maven should not be our
responsibility thinks that that would mean Maven support for Lucene/Solr would go away.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com