lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Maven
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:47:06 GMT
Bill,

ASF policy is that discussions that don't need to be private should not be.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Bell [mailto:billnbell@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 9:42 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Cc: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Maven

Why are you debating this here? Isn't there a PMC place to discuss topics with the main PMC
members?

Bill Bell
Sent from mobile

On Apr 27, 2012, at 7:24 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:

> Hi Benson,
>
> On 4/27/2012 at 8:36 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

>>> Not really: consensus means unanimous agreement.
>>
>> No, consensus means no one chooses to block consensus. And since
>> Maven is in place, it would take a decision by consensus to remove
>> it.
>
> According to <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, procedural votes require
majority approval, not concensus.

> But maybe you're referring to the code change vote procedure, which
> allows a single PMC member to veto code changes?  IMHO, Maven support
> in Lucene/Solr doesn't qualify as code.  (Simple test: does Maven
> support - the POMs - ship with the source releases?  The answer is
> no.)
>
>> Much email has been sent on the premise that Maven specially and
>> uniquely raises certain IP and policy issues. It doesn't.
>> It does offer some constraints and opportunities for coping with
>> these issues.
>
> AFAICT, Lucene/Solr completely complies with ASF policies, and will continue to do so
- this is a requirement for the continued existence of the project under ASF governance.

> By contrast, Maven's "offered constraints", including its separate publishing platform,
present challenges that need to be addressed separately, at a cost that the project is not
required to bear.  The nature of those challenges (IP/policy/whatever) is IMHO immaterial.

>> However, if I'm not being helpful, and it seems that I'm not, I'll return to lurking.
>
> I value your opinions even though I may not always share them.  And I certainly welcome
your assistance in meeting the challenges of keeping Maven in-house here.

   6