lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:21:26 GMT
On 4/23/2012 at 5:09 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Finally, publishing maven artifacts has nothing to do with
> maven at all. We don't need a maven build to do that!

The Maven build is there to enable using Maven to check the correctness of the POMs.  I think
this is essential.  Prior to this, the Lucene/Solr Maven POMs were *always* out of date, and
nobody knew about it.

> in my opinion, the old way of creating JAR files (which ANT
> does for us) and copying them to the maven servers can be done
> completely without maven

That's how it's done now.  The "maven artifacts" are just the Ant-produced .jar files, along
with the Maven POM files.  Copying to the maven servers is performed using Maven Ant Tasks,
which runs under Ant, not Maven.

> As we are now using IVY, we should maybe do the automated
> deploy using IVY instead of a parallel maven build.

I don't know IVY - maybe it could serve the same copy-to-maven-servers purpose as Maven Ant
Tasks?

And again, the parallel maven build is not involved in preparation of maven artifacts or in
pushing them to Maven Central.

Steve