lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Looking at SOLR-2724 and SOLR-3161
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:53:54 GMT
On 4/19/2012 2:12 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I notice that SOLR-2724 and SOLR-3161 are in the CHANGES.txt for
> 3.6.0, but that they both got reverted on trunk.  Are there plans to
> put them back in trunk in a possibly altered form?  I like the general
> direction that David Smiley is going, as long as the client API keeps up.

I thought of another potential problem, something that was at least
touched in the issue comments - distributed search.  The shards.qt
parameter was discussed.  Since the shards parameter doesn't include the
request handler URL path, is shards.qt the only way to specify that?
One comment suggested that with shards.qt=/something, the shard requests
will change to /something and will not see a qt parameter.  Is that
actually the case in 3.6 or 4.0?

I think that SolrJ (in trunk at least) needs a new set method
(constructor?) to change the URL path, and distributed search needs a
new parameter to replace a deprecated/removed shards.qt.  It might also
need to default to inheriting the request handler path used on the
initial request, assuming that wouldn't cause horrible breakage somewhere.

For me personally, I hope to change my configuration to be as compatible
with 4.0 as possible when I go to 3.6.x, currently on 3.5.0.  It would
be best if we don't have to make any immediate application changes.  If
I absolutely have to use something that's deprecated, I will ... but I'd
rather not.

Thanks,
Shawn