lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Erick Erickson (Created) (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Created] (SOLR-3376) SolrCloud: Specifying shardId not working correctly, although the failures are inconsistent.
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 23:10:41 GMT
SolrCloud: Specifying shardId not working correctly, although the failures are inconsistent.

                 Key: SOLR-3376
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: SolrCloud
    Affects Versions: 4.0
            Reporter: Erick Erickson

I'm seeing some odd results when specifying "shardId" parameter. I'm trying the 4-node, 2-shard
example from the Wiki and specifying shardIds like this:

dir       shardId     start order    runnng ZK   port
example     1           1               y        8983
example2    2           2               y        7574
example3    1           3               y        8900
example4    2           4               y        7500 

And I'm waiting a bit between starting various examples to let ZK settle down.

Once all of them are started, I was looking at http://localhost:8983/solr/#/~cloud?view=graph
to check out what that looks like (pretty cool IMO, especially since I didn't have to do it).
The problem was that shard 2 only reported a single instance, while shard1 showed the two
instances I was expecting. I'm running with 3 embedded ZK instances, just for yucks. Interestingly
the node that didn't show up was the only node that was NOT running ZK.

When I removed all the "shardId" parameters, nuked zoo_data from all directories and just
started them up (with numShards=2 on the bootstrap ZK node), all 4 nodes showed up just fine.

When starting with shardId specified and trying to go straight to the admin interface on the
node that wasn't showing up, I'd get odd errors like "This interface requires that you activate
the admin request handlers, add the following configuration to your solrconfig.xml:". I also
couldn't search directly on that machine, "http://localhost:7574/solr/select?q=*:*" returns
a 404 error.

Command starting server that's giving me trouble: java -Xmx1G -Djetty.port=7500 -DzkHost=localhost:9983,localhost:8574,localhost:9900
-DshardId=2 -jar start.jar

Command for one that works fine:                   java -Xmx1G -Djetty.port=8900 -DzkRun -DzkHost=localhost:9983,localhost:8574,localhost:9900
-DshardId=1 -jar start.jar

Sami Siren and he reports similar issues via e-mail conversation. Sami says that ZK 3.5 apparently
(without exhaustive tests) fixed the problem for him, but when I tried ZK 3.5 I saw the same
issue. Of course with all the recent stuff with Ivy, I may have screwed up when/where the
JARs were.

So then I went back to ZK 3.4 and couldn't reproduce the problem. Which seems highly suspicious
to me. It was failing every time before with 3.4, so it sounds like gremlins.

And then I re-did the stuff with ZK 3.5 and it works fine there too now. Siiiiggggh.   Mostly
this is a placeholder to insure we try this, I guarantee that sys admins will want to assign
specific machines to specific shards, so this'll get used.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators:!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see:


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message