lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:31:59 GMT

On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> I think, to fix this, we (the Apache Lucene PMC) should stop
> officially posting artifacts to Maven ourselves.  I think it's great
> if Steve (and/or others) continue to do so, just outside of the Apache
> Lucene project and outside of the Lucene PMC.  This would mean the
> Maven build/deploy is fully downstream from our official releases,
> just like how the numerous other package managers/repositories (yum,
> apt, pkg, etc.) distribute our release artifacts.

+1 - Love Steve, love his work - it really is fantastic - he's a wizard when it comes to this
stuff.

I have always been a "Maven belongs downstream" supporter though - and I still believe that
is the way to go. If the majority of committers don't agree, that's okay - but if the majority
of us are not interested in the viral nature of Maven, I think we should change things.

We predicted when this first came up that Maven would have a much larger affect on us then
was predicted by some. That is why I thought we should vote at the time to support it internally
or not. I think now that we can observe many of the ramifications of our previous choice,
it's easy to see that Maven affects a lot. It's a burden on committers, it's a burden on the
PMC. Thank goodness Steve has been around to help mitigate it, but its still affected us and
he may not be around forever. That's my vote (no surprise).

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com