lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Roger Håkansson (Created) (JIRA) <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (SOLR-3375) Charset problem using HttpSolrServer instead of CommonsHttpSolrServer
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:58:41 GMT
Charset problem using HttpSolrServer instead of CommonsHttpSolrServer
---------------------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: SOLR-3375
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3375
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: clients - java
    Affects Versions: 3.6, 4.0, 3.6.1
            Reporter: Roger Håkansson


I've written an application which sends PDF files to Solr for indexing, but I also need to
index some meta-data which isn't contained inside the PDF.
I recently upgraded to 3.6.0 and when recompiling my app, I got some deprecated messages which
mainly was to switch from CommonsHttpSolrServer to HttpSolrServer.

The problem I've noticed since doing this, is that all extra fields which I add is sent to
the Solr server as ASCII only, i.e UTF-8/ISO-8859-1 doesn't matter, anything above char 127
is sent as '?'. This was not the behaviour of CommonsHttpSolrServer.


I've tracked it down to a line (271 in 3.6.0) in HttpSolrServer.java which is:
  entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value));

The problem is that StringBody(String text) maps to 
  StringBody(text, "text/plain", null);
and in 
  StringBody(String text, String mimeType, Charset charset)
we have this piece of code:
  if (charset == null) {
     charset = Charset.forName("US-ASCII");
  }
  this.content = text.getBytes(charset.name());
  this.charset = charset;
So unless charset is set everything is converted to US-ASCII.


On the other hand, in CommonsHttpSolrServer.java (line 310 in 3.6.0) there is this line
  parts.add(new StringPart(p, v, "UTF-8"));
which adds everything as UTF-8.


The simple solution would be to change the faulty line in HttpSolrServer.java to
  entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value,Charset.forName("UTF-8")));

However, this doesn't work either since my tests have shown that neither Jetty or Tomcat recognizes
the strings as UTF-8 but interprets them as 8-bit (8859-1 I guess).

So changing HttpSolrServer.java to
  entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value,Charset.forName("ISO-8859-1")));
actually gives me the same result as using CommonsHttpSolrServer.


But my investigations have shown that there is a difference in how Commons-HttpClient and
HttpClient-4.x works.
Commons-HttpClient sends all parameters as regular POST parameters but URLEncoded (/update/extract?param1=value&param2=value2)
while
HttpClient-4.x sends them as multipart/form-data messages and I think that the problem is
that each multipart-message should have its own charset parameter.

I.e HttpClient-4.x sends 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--jNljZ3jE1sHG529HrzSjZWYEad-6Wu
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="literal.string_txt"

åäö
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it should probably send something like this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--jNljZ3jE1sHG529HrzSjZWYEad-6Wu
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="literal.string_txt"
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

åäö
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

       

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message