lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Ant version for building Solr
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:37:58 GMT
I understand your point Rob.  But given your point of view, wouldn't it be sufficient for the
README to simply say "download Ant 1.7 and…" without explicitly telling the user *not* to
use Ant 1.8, which is suggestive of a particular problem with the newer version?  You didn't
tell them *not* to use Ant 1.9 yet either ;-) or… etc.  It goes without saying when I read
any instructions that references a particular version that that particular version works,
and that there is no guarantee of anything else.

Is there anything preventing Ant 1.8 being the release we advise people to use?  After all,
Ant 1.8 was already on my Mac after I had grabbed dev tools extras; I'm not sure when I last
explicitly installed it.

JUnit and any other library is a non-issue since the build refers to particular versions.

~ David