lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Oleg Kalnichevski (Commented) (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-3375) Charset problem using HttpSolrServer instead of CommonsHttpSolrServer
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:00:45 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3375?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13258424#comment-13258424
] 

Oleg Kalnichevski commented on SOLR-3375:
-----------------------------------------

@Roger

> But it also involves getting the guys developing HttpClient to make a change

HttpClient supports two modes for multipart MIME messages: strict and browser compatible.
The code snippet you have pasted above is executed in the compatibility mode only. Common
browsers include a Content-Type field in body parts that represent a file upload.

Oleg
                
> Charset problem using HttpSolrServer instead of CommonsHttpSolrServer
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-3375
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3375
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: clients - java
>    Affects Versions: 3.6
>            Reporter: Roger Håkansson
>            Assignee: Sami Siren
>             Fix For: 3.6.1
>
>         Attachments: SolrTest.java, commonshttpsolrserver-dump.txt, httpsolrserver-dump.txt
>
>
> I've written an application which sends PDF files to Solr for indexing, but I also need
to index some meta-data which isn't contained inside the PDF.
> I recently upgraded to 3.6.0 and when recompiling my app, I got some deprecated messages
which mainly was to switch from CommonsHttpSolrServer to HttpSolrServer.
> The problem I've noticed since doing this, is that all extra fields which I add is sent
to the Solr server as ASCII only, i.e UTF-8/ISO-8859-1 doesn't matter, anything above char
127 is sent as '?'. This was not the behaviour of CommonsHttpSolrServer.
> I've tracked it down to a line (271 in 3.6.0) in HttpSolrServer.java which is:
>   entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value));
> The problem is that StringBody(String text) maps to 
>   StringBody(text, "text/plain", null);
> and in 
>   StringBody(String text, String mimeType, Charset charset)
> we have this piece of code:
>   if (charset == null) {
>      charset = Charset.forName("US-ASCII");
>   }
>   this.content = text.getBytes(charset.name());
>   this.charset = charset;
> So unless charset is set everything is converted to US-ASCII.
> On the other hand, in CommonsHttpSolrServer.java (line 310 in 3.6.0) there is this line
>   parts.add(new StringPart(p, v, "UTF-8"));
> which adds everything as UTF-8.
> The simple solution would be to change the faulty line in HttpSolrServer.java to
>   entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value,Charset.forName("UTF-8")));
> However, this doesn't work either since my tests have shown that neither Jetty or Tomcat
recognizes the strings as UTF-8 but interprets them as 8-bit (8859-1 I guess).
> So changing HttpSolrServer.java to
>   entity.addPart(name, new StringBody(value,Charset.forName("ISO-8859-1")));
> actually gives me the same result as using CommonsHttpSolrServer.
> But my investigations have shown that there is a difference in how Commons-HttpClient
and HttpClient-4.x works.
> Commons-HttpClient sends all parameters as regular POST parameters but URLEncoded (/update/extract?param1=value&param2=value2)
while
> HttpClient-4.x sends them as multipart/form-data messages and I think that the problem
is that each multipart-message should have its own charset parameter.
> I.e HttpClient-4.x sends 
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --jNljZ3jE1sHG529HrzSjZWYEad-6Wu
> Content-Disposition: form-data; name="literal.string_txt"
> åäö
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> But it should probably send something like this
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --jNljZ3jE1sHG529HrzSjZWYEad-6Wu
> Content-Disposition: form-data; name="literal.string_txt"
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> åäö
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

       

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message