lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Build/deploy Maven artifacts outside of Lucene/Solr
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:45:26 GMT
Hi,

> BTW, fedora 16 has lucene 2.9.4 and does not have solr. Looks like F17 will
> have the same. I'd also be interested to know why they don't have 3.x or solr.

I think that unrelated here, but the answer is simple: Those distributions don't have Lucene
JARS to provide "Lucene" as a library to the user, but they provide Lucene as dependency for
other packages . And those software is often very outdated and Lucene 3.0 is no longer backwards
compatible. Linux distribs will adda "Lucene3" package once it is needed as a dependency.

Uwe