lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: switch jars to ivy mechanism?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:38:28 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I disagree with you: I think Maven really is an option.  However, I do agree that it
would be significantly more work, and I recognize that lots of devs here loathe Maven, so
I will not tilt against this particular windmill.

> On the technical arguments, though: a) there *is* a JFlex maven plugin; and b) if you
follow the link you gave to the Jenkins Maven trunk build script, you'll see that the one
test which was being ignored is no longer ignored -- that chunk of the shell script is commmented
out -- Maven currently runs all tests and passes them just as often as the Ant builds.  (BasicDistributedZkTest
is now an unhappy camper no matter which camp it's in these days.)

Maven refers to the maven build we have: it doesn't support all of our
features. This isn't really a debate, its a fact. I don't argue that
theoretically it can't in the future, but it does not do so right now.
There are a lot of missing tasks (jflex generation was just a simple
one, but there are lots of little things like this). Sure, it might be
possible they could be added, but thats a ton more work than just
addressing jar dependencies.

--
lucidimagination.com